Monday, August 4, 2008

Going for it!: Surf Goddess Retreat


Find more photos like this on Surf Goddess Retreats Network

When I saw this website a month ago, my heart jumped and I screamed. I thought, holy shit! Are you kidding me? I am SO on board. (pun unintended :)

And then I saw the price tag. And I stalled. And then I didn't sign up. And then they had no availability left.

Last week I was kicking myself. I vowed that I would do it sometime in my lifetime. I also sent off an email to them just to check and see if they had any cancellations. They didn't.

Well, over the weekend, they sent me another email and said they just had a cancellation. Would I be interested?

I jumped. I hollered. And then I thought about it for a half day, analyzing my budget. If I did this retreat, it would blow my budget by almost $2000. That is really blowing a budget. I kept looking at the website and shrieking in excitement. And then I said no, no. I'll be fine not doing it. I'll just spend a whole lot less, go to some yoga classes, and do a lot of writing.

Well, I woke up this morning and thought about what it looks like for me to GO for it. The retreat popped up in my head. Then I got to work and talked to my favorite coworker, Jessica. She has surfed before and I asked her what it is like. I told her about the retreat. And you know what she said? Even after I told her the pricetag?

She said:

"I've been reading books about girls learning how to surf and it is an amazing thing. The feel of waiting for a wave, being out on the water, catching a wave...there's nothing like it. Go for it. Do this for yourself! When are you going to get another chance like this? When you come back, you will have finished this big trip to Asia...you probably won't go back soon and who knows, life changes, you may get married, you may have kids....this is your chance!!!! And THINK Hanna, think about the thousands of dollars people spend on a wedding that only lasts 4 hours. This will be so much more meaningful and exciting than 4 hours! Do this for yourself!"

I laughed a lot and shrieked some more. I'm going to do it! AHHHHHHHHH

2 comments:

melinda said...

Yay hanna! That's great...I'm so glad you're going to do it!

contemporary themes said...

Yay! Have a BLAST! I agree with your friend. It is so important to do these things for ourselves. You won't regret it!