Monday, June 23, 2008

mish mash musings 5

my mother once again told me i should be a lawyer. except she said, "hanna, i found out about a great program at northwestern for graduates who have worked for two years or more. it's special for people just like you." i asked, what is it? she said, "oh you know, just for people like you, studying law." i balked. and she said, "hanna, you're so smart. why don't you want to help people by being a lawyer? you don't have to do it for the money. think about how many people you can help." blaaaahhhhhhhh

apparently a feminist author, Linda Hirshman, says to all women entering college: Don't study art. i.e. studying art is not going to utilize you in a place of power in the world. I had to laugh. Most females I know just want to take art classes, including myself. article in The Atlantic here. This article and my mom made me realize that I would rather be an unsuccessful mother raising kids and making homemade granola with some freelance writing on the side than be a lawyer.

thinking about this fall, job negotiations, looking for a job, my life, my future....it's time to do some centering prayer. i can tell i haven't done it in half a week.

No comments: