Monday, June 23, 2008

in the hollow

today, this day, i tried to be present at work
my heart was breaking but i could only see
my anxiety. my chest fluttered.
i squirmed. i wanted to be free.

i sat in a studio
my teacher told me
breathe in. breathe out.
pay attention to your breath.
let everything go.

in the hollow of my chest
everything stopped
no flutters, no rain, no bird
trying to escape.

i dropped
my head like a bowling ball
let it dangle in space
i reached
for the ceiling with my pinkie
tip. pushed my heart
towards the wall,
lifting my head high

in the hollow of a still chest
i saw sadness.
this was no anxious woman
unable to decide or escape.
it was a sad woman
stored up in a closed
off well.

in the evening, i tried
to be present to my pain-
gazed at lilies,
leaves, sat
on grass,
saw
the
glory
of the
sun
setting
on
a
summer
day

i tried and i tried and i cried.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Yay for poetry! Love it.

melinda said...

you are so beautiful hanna