Saturday, June 21, 2008

Books: Pyongyang

I came across this book while I was at Vroman's the other day. It is so random. But it made me laugh and have a good time. I almost didn't want to go watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall (which turned out to be hilarious although it was uncomfortable thinking about how J. must imagine me as "the devil" Miss Sarah Marsall).

Drawn and written (it's all in comic strip format) by a French (yes, French!) cartoonist, it depicts his business trip to the forbidden country and all the peculiarities of this sad closed off country. It's an unlikely but successful cartoon version of a travel memoir with a good dose of self-deprecating humour and an underlying sense of compassion within his bizarre encounters. Educational too. I was able to envision the landscape and temperament of North Korea far better than any other writings I've come across.

Highly recommended. I will definitely go back to the bookstore to read some more.

No comments: