Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kitchen Finds: Fine Mesh Strainer

Ever since I discovered quinoa and learned that you must rinse it to get a soapy chemical off of it (saponin), I've been rinsing it by just filling up a bowl of it with water and then holding a plate against the bowl and tipping the water out of it slowly until the water has been drained. aka Tedious.

So I've been on the lookout for a fine mesh strainer and I thought I found it when I saw this Oxo Good Grips 8-Inch Double Rod Strainer. But at $21.99, it was worth waiting for a better deal. I waited and waited and in the meantime checked every Chinese supermarket and Korean household store I went to for a similar item. The ones I found had flimsy mesh or weren't big enough but yesterday, finally--VICTORY!

At HMart in Irvine, I found a solid 8-inch double rod strainer with two prongs on the end, not just one, which provides better balance when resting it across the sink (which it does perfectly). The 8" size is perfect for rinsing handfuls of fruit and veggies. The mesh is small enough to rinse quinoa and it has a solid dome shape that has no signs of warping or stretching. Best of all, it is only $5.99! I'm not sure who else carries it but it's worth checking your local Korean supermarket. The strainer has a "Dong-Tai" imprint on it.

No comments: