Monday, September 29, 2008

Watching Fall Begin

I moved into a rambling Victorian house a couple of days ago and it's been a ticklish delight to get to know my new home.

This morning I stood chopping leeks in front of the kitchen window and watched gusts of wind flutter leaves to the ground.  Yesterday it was over 90 degrees in Pasadena; today the light is grey and cool and rain drops smatter the sidewalks.

Fall is beginning, isn't it?  And though I'm not in school, I am burying myself in books.  Two parcels arrived today:

--The Associated Press Stylebook
--2009 Writer's Market
--The Copyeditor's Handbook
--The Chicago Manual of Style
--The Synonym Finder
--Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

Thick yummy word books to get lost in.  

My new favorite recipe is from a recent issue of Bon Appetit Magazine called Leek Confit.    It's a delicious treat on almost anything.  Last night I had it with seared eggplants.  Today, I'm having it on top of Ethiopian Lentils.  Yum.

No comments: