Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Devilicious

Today is Bali's holiest day and men and women are dressed up. There are processions down decorated streets with the beating of drums and gongs and kids under dragon costumes (like the Chinese dragon).

I woke up and enjoyed a lovely breakfast prepared by Nyoman and relaxed by the pool, chatting with a couple other guests at the inn, a retired Australian teacher and a Brit. I'm starting to understand a little more of why people come here. There's this strange juxtaposition of poverty and shops for expats. David, the Australian told me that for him, it is cheaper to live in Bali for 2 months out of the year, than it is to just stay at home with his wife and eat in Melbourne. So they come here to stretch their retirement funds. Really interesting.

I ate at Devilicious, a Cajun warung and read some more of Middlemarch by George Eliot. It's such an excellent satirical book for religious girls like me.

Tonight, I'm going to a balinese dance and tomorrow, i'm doing a cycling tour of a nearby volcano. i'm looking forward to that.

i'm off to another massage now.

No comments: